Friday 20 March 2009

Kirkstile Gold


This is another interloper. The story behind it is that Helen took me away for a few days to celebrate my milestone birthday and the place she took me to was called the Kirkstile Inn, which is at Loweswater, one of the more remote villages in the northern part of the Lake District. Not only is it a beautiful setting, between Loweswater lake and Crummock Water and in the lee of Melbreak and so ideal for walking and running, but the food has (justifiably) won awards and, best of all, it has its own microbrewery. It has just been awarded the CAMRA Pub of the Year award for 2008 for West Cumbria. More details can be found at http://www.kirkstile.com/


They have been brewing since 2003 (though apparently the inn used to brew its own beer back in the 1820s) and they now have production of 6 barrels a week. I tried several of their beers while I was there, and we brought home with us a few bottles of this one, Kirkstile Gold, though they also have a very acceptable bitter and a dark ale


It is, as its name suggests, a golden beer. It uses German hops apparently and has masses of tropical fruit flavour. Lovely! It is 4.3% ABV and is bottle conditioned.


I have handed out a few bottles to other people so I am expecting some comments on this one!




2 comments:

  1. my comment is that you didnt hand one out to me so i cant comment!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very drinkable beer (glug!). A dry, sharp taste which is ideal after a training run. Not perhaps as hoppy and full-bodied as I prefer - but if it's free, I'll have a case.

    (Posted on behalf of the Doc, who emailed me as he had a challenge on being able to post directly on to the blog)

    ReplyDelete