Monday 9 February 2009

Cotleigh's Barn Owl


Well, looks like we are back on track. Today's beer is from Cotleigh's Brewery in Wiveliscombe in Somerset. so it looks like that Aussie beer was a rogue selection.


Thought I'd put a picture of Helen on this occasion, as it gets a bit boring seeing me all the time.



This beer is a copper coloured full flavoured ale, apparently with "hints of toffee and nut for smooth, malty bittersweet finish". That seems quite an accurate description - very acceptable. ABV is 4.5%


According to their website, the Cotleigh Brewery has been brewing for 25 years, though the label says there is a 200 year Georgian brewing tradition in Wiveliscombe. You can find out more at http://www.cotleighbrewery.com/

2 comments:

  1. The local pub to where i stayed when I walked on Exmoor had Cotleigh beers - I'm very partial to them. I also seem to recall there is another brewery in Wiveliscombe. I think the other one had a beer call Exmoor Gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, you are quite right. I find it quite amazing that a village (its not relly big enough to be classified as a town) in rural Somerset has two significant breweries like this. You are alo correct about the name of the other brewery being Exmoor. They won CAMRA's beer of the year award in 1980, the year they were founded, with Exmoor Ale, their session bitter. I have also tried Exmoor Gold a few times, at the GBBF and elsewhere an it is very good as you say.

    ReplyDelete